Monday, August 8, 2016

DIY Velvet Ribbon Choker

 
 
 
 

Apparently I have been living in oblivion. Namely, my daughter  informed my ignorant self that chokers have been quite popular for quite a while now. And that discovery - on my part that is - happened when she found out we have a huge box of velvet ribbons in all colors imaginable. It happened with an ecstatic and joyful scream. 

I fondly remember the '90s when chokers were in fashion, I remember making them out of leather and fabric. And because for a person in love with the Victorian era, chokers actually never go out of style I decided to make some.



If you want to make one yourself, all you need is a ribbon long enough to tie it behind your neck, which is the current preferred style,  or try a more complicated version where you cut a short ribbon, just enough to get it around your neck, attach clamps on both sides of the ribbon and a lobster clip for closure. You can attach a charm or a pendant to it for added glam.
 

11 comments:

Divya N said...

everything from the nineties is in trend now and my students have been choker for over 4 months. I somehow never fancied them as a kid too as I find them constricting

living from glory to glory said...

Good Morning, I loved being reminded about chokers, I also loved them as a teenager. I do make jewelry, but I have not made myself a choker. And I have a necklace I am going to finish up and then I am going to make one of these pretty necklaces! Thanks for the inspiration!
Blessings, Roxy

Maya Kuzman said...

I am glad we are kindred souls Roxy :)
Do visit me again tomorrow- I made a crochet one. It seems I cannot stop once I started :)

Edye Nicole said...

I love a good chocker necklace! Thanks for sharing this DIY :)

Blessings,
Edye | Http://gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you for stopping by Edye!

Kim said...

I have always loved chokers. I wore quite a few in the days of my youth. How wonderful they are back in vogue.

The Charm of Home said...

These must be back in style! THey were all the rage in the 70's and all of that is back in style! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty chokers!! I remember wearing a few of these back in the day. They're such a classic look, glad they're trending again. :)

Maya Kuzman said...

I am happy about that too :)

JES said...

I agree with you, the Victorian Era goods will always be in style :) Thank you for sharing with us on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

Maya Kuzman said...

Looks so classy if you ask me :)
Thank you for having me Jes!