Sunday, December 21, 2014

Kathryn Vercillo of Crochet Concupiscence


A couple of days ago I was awarded the Best Crochet Jewelry by Kathryn Vercillo and you can read the whole post on her blog here.

I follow her 2014 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards, but I didn't even dream I would be one of the awardees.




What Kathryn says about the awards: The 2014 Awesome Crochet Blog Awards are a set of awards that I created to honor and celebrate the best crocheters in the online community. Each year I create 30-ish categories and name the best folks in those categories. It’s informal and the awardees don’t receive anything tangible but it’s one way to recognize the awesomeness that’s happening out there all year long. Of course, I try to do this weekly with my Link Love posts but the annual awards are on a slightly bigger scale where one person per day can get recognized for their own unique contributions.


The reasons Kathryn pointed out for awarding me this award:
  • Maya often works with yarn. Many of the people who do great crochet jewelry work with thread or wire or focus on beadwork. All of those things are great but yarn is what most crocheters work with so I love that she represents this aspect of crochet jewelry so well. Although she does work with mixed media at times, the yarn crochet is really the centerpiece.
  • I am inspired by the organic feeling that runs through many of her crochet pieces. She doesn’t make exact replications of flowers in nature but the colors and textures are very organic. Beautiful.
  • The crochet jewelry that she makes to sell is truly exquisite. There is a jewelry gallery here in San Francisco and her work would stand up against any of the artists that I’ve seen featured there.

  • What I can say to Kathryn is a huge THANK YOU  for your ardency in promoting crochet designers and unselfishly and perpetually investing your time in acclaiming our work and endeavors.  

    Kathryn is a San Francisco based freelance writer, blogger and crocheter who learned to crochet from her mom when she was a child. She re-discovered crochet in her twenties, when she was going through a really difficult bout of depression. According to her words, crochet helped her heal and connected her to a great community and became a key part of her life.

    She says: "I started this blog to celebrate crochet and to do my part to help connect and honor all of the designers, crafters, writers and makers who are linked to crochet in some way."
    She is the author of the book "Crochet Saved My Life". Find more about it here.


     

    6 comments:

    Julie's Lifestyle said...

    Hi Maya, wow congrats on the award! Yes you are a talented and creative jewelry crochet artist! You deserve it. Have a Merry Christmas.
    Julie

    homemade@myplace said...

    I've read that post on Crochet Concupiscence : well done!!!!! Congratulations!!!!
    xxxxxxx Ale

    Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

    Congrats Maya! You deserve the recognition. Best wishes, Tammy

    CrochetBlogger said...

    Thanks so much for sharing. Really happy to spread your work to others!!

    Unknown said...

    Oh this is MORE than well deserved dear Maya, for your crochet work is amazing and deserves all the attention it can get! Merry Christmas to you and your family, hope you received my card? Hugs, Ira
    Ira’s Crea Corner

    Ingrid K. said...

    Dear Maya!

    What a wonderful award, you deserve it!!! Your works are stunning! :)
    Merry Xmas!!!
    Ingrid xx
    http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be