Monday, November 17, 2014

Darleen Hopkins - a Crochet Designer

 
Today I want to introduce Darleen Hopkins who is a crochet designer I met through Ravelry. She is also participating in the indie-designer's giftalong going on right now and offering 25% off some of her patterns with the code: giftalong2014
 
 
1. Can you introduce yourself for my readers, please?
Hello!  Thank you Maya!  Thank you so much for taking the time to introduce me to your readers.  My name is Darleen Hopkins and I LOVE everything crochet!  I had my first design published in 2010 but I didn’t jump all the way into designing/writing crochet patterns professionally until late 2012.  I absolutely love doing this as the design process has been such a wonderful way for me to exercise my creative side.  And I love pattern writing.  I have a background in accounting and thrive on numbers and details.

2. How many years have you been knitting and / or crocheting and what do you specialize in making?
I started crocheting in about 2004/2005.  It started out as something to keep my hands busy instead of snacking.  I quickly became addicted and right away started making up my own designs.  I have a hard time following a pattern because I’m always thinking, I wonder what would happen if I tried this...  My favorite items to make are hats, specifically silly hats.  If I’m not working on a current design then I’m likely making a hat to donate to Halos of Hope for those who have lost their hair due to medical treatment.
Thank you so much for sharing the link with us! Prior to this interview I've never heard of this organization and its wonderful cause  - so all who want to contribute to this lovely cause - visit the Halos of Hope. 




3. Can you describe your designing process? How do you start a project? Do you choose the yarn first or envision and draw it first? 
It depends on the item.  Most of the time I have the idea, draw it out then go look for the right yarn and start crocheting.  Sometimes my vision is clear enough and I skip the drawing out and go straight to the crocheting part.  The actual crocheting part is the most fun part of the process anyway. : )
 
 
4. What inspires you the most in creating your products?
I like to think of things that will make others smile, either because it is sweet or silly or because they know they found the perfect pattern to highlight that special yarn they have been saving.
 


5. What  is your favorite knitting / crocheting place?
I seem to do most of my crocheting in my home-usually on the couch in the family room when I’m able to “get in the crochet zone” and not have to think too much about the process.  If I’m at a point in a pattern or design where I need to really think and work something out, I’ll sit at the kitchen island where I can spread out my notes and yarn and concentrate a little better.
 
 
6. Who are your favorite designers (if you have any in fiber arts or otherwise) and why?
I don’t really have a favorite designer but I love to look at what everyone else has created; from bold colors and clean lines to romantic and vintage inspired as well as adorable and silly.  I love them all.


7. Do you have a favorite design in your portfolio and what inspired you to make it?
I do.  It’s a design I made for my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary.  It’s an original and very personal in its design.  I blogged about it during the 2013 Gift-A-Long.  The story is here: The Spirit of Gifting
I think it is an amazing, heart-warming, wonderful gift! I can only imagine your parents surprise, excitement and joy upon receiving it!

8. Any other crafts you like to dab into?
I knit occasionally but it’s been awhile.  I would love to learn how to quilt.  I absolutely love handmade quilts.  We have a couple hanging in my home.  They are beautiful.  But I haven’t taken the time to learn, yet.
 
 

9. What is your perfect day?
Sleeping in-I LOVE to sleep in and it doesn’t happen enough.  Then enjoying a cup or two of coffee while I check email.  Next, going for an invigorating walk with my husband and boys in the woods somewhere-likely a waterfall my husband heard about.  We have lots of hidden waterfalls in north Georgia.  Come home to a meal already cooked so neither of us have to-not sure how to make that happen! and then an hour or two of quiet with my yarn.


10. Anything you'd like to add and I missed to ask?
Nope!  Thanks for having me!
Thank you Darleen for the lovely interview!
 
You can find me on Facebook: Crochet By Darleen
Ravelry: Darleen Hopkins
Website/Blog:  Crochet by Darleen Blog
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all I'd like to apologize for being MIA for more than a week, but we were in Germany (partly work, partly fun) and now in the midst of rebuilding the upper floors. Hence my absence. But I will try to visit you whenever I can Maya! Even though I won't be able to every time you put up a new post. But when I do, I am able to enjoy your lovely work again and you most certainly have made such wonderful creations! Always a pleasure to see them! Thanks for sharing, hugs, Ira xox
Ira’s Crea Corner

Maya Kuzman said...

No need to apologize Ira! Hope you had lots of fun in Germany :)
Read you soon!

Linda said...

Hello Maya, what an interesting interview, you asked some great questions.
Darlene has some beautiful designs and it's lovely to know more about how she started designing crochet patterns.
I took a look at the link for the gift for her parents anniversary ... wow just amazing.

Thanks Maya xx