Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tropical paradise dress


Although I strongly believe it should be called Tropical Hell of a dress.
What might seem as sweet, invigorating, expressive design, is in fact the greatest wrong you can afflict to your body (and soul).

The fabric is 100% polyester. It has a silk shine and looking from a distance one might mistake it for silk. It frays like crazy and it wrinkles easily. Not to mention that when worn out in the hot, your body feels like going through all of nine circles of hell. It makes you sweat in buckets and the body cannot breath. So it is advisable to be worn only on cloudy days and preferably only at night.

I knew all of this beforehand. Because I have two other dresses made out of the same polyester (equally lovable designs). I cannot pinpoint the part of my brain that was not functioning when I took out the money to pay for it.

I am also not satisfied with the pattern I chose for it. It's a Burda pattern 7/09. I made many alterations because I didn't like how the original fitted me. I widened it to make it more A-shaped. Second the bust top was gathered too much and too low. I gathered it differently and added the pink ribbon to cover the cleavage, and I think it is still exposed too much. I didn't like the snaky ties/straps that started from the center and went back and instead I added the ruffled straps. All in all I don't think it's worth the time I wasted on it.
So, out of those three dresses I like this one the least. But I am willing to give it a chance and maybe wear it once more...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love how it turned out Maya! The fabric looks so cool and it's wonderful how you used the pattern across the bust, love those ruffled handles, too (if that's what you call them, don't mean to be impolite here ;-) Cheers, Ira

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, it looks beautiful. I say wear it again then find a project to make out of it ~lol~ the fabric and color is beautiful, but the skin MUST breathe in the heat.
xx, Carol

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful on you.....adore the ruffles & style of bodice!

Unknown said...

So cute.

NessyS said...

Mmmm well after reading what you've written above Honey - I can see what you mean! Wow - it must have been pretty low cut if you had to add that pink ribbon - still like I said over at BurdaStyle - I think that part of your anatomy is very nice and this dress shows it well! Maybe keep this one for romantic summer evenings when the sun has gone to sleep! Still -It looks good to me x

Papgena Made It said...

I can understand it was hard to make but I disagree with you, I think it looks beautiful in you and as a cousin of mine allways says what is beautiful must be show off! ;)
I agree with all the other girls you must wear it again, on a summer night maybe with a scarf on the shoulders and give this dress a chance!!